One of the major issues most people face because of having small kids is how they have to cut off some of their important hobbies and exercise routines. Say, you are a regular cyclist, and now you have a 3-year old baby who you just cannot leave for your cycling trail. What if we told you that you have a chance to do so with the help of a bike trailer.
Using a bike trailer, you will be able to take your child with you and your bike. Also, you can see it like this. You will be able to enjoy your cycling time with your kid. It is one of the nicest things in parenting, doing things with your children. These bike trailers can easily be hinged to your cycle back and can accommodate a single child or 2 children. You get to choose from many variants in this.
- What is a Bike Trailer?
- Top five reasons why you must buy a Bike Trailer
- Factors to consider before buying a Bike Trailer
- Top 4 Best Bike Trailers Reviews of 2018
What is a Bike Trailer?
A bike trailer is a small motor-less cart type of a thing with wheels. It comes with a hinge system which can easily be attached to the back of your bike. They also come with a protective covering that saves the child from the surroundings and the weather. The wheels in these trailers are mostly foldable and attaching one to your bike is usually very straightforward.
These bike trailers can accommodate a child of age between 1 to 6 years. Some bike trailers can take a single child while some other models are made to seat 2 children at the same time. The suitable kind of bike trailer can be chosen depending on the weight factors and how much will you be able to hold and carry. It is a great way to take your child wherever you go on your bike.
Top five reasons why you must buy a Bike Trailer
If you are a parent with a child aged between 1 to 6 years, you will understand the struggle. You cannot leave your child behind when you have to head to the market to buy important groceries or simply for exercising. A bike trailer, in such a case, will prove to be your best friend and for your baby too. For one such child, or two, you will need a bike trailer for your bike.
So, here are the top five reasons as to why you will need to buy a bike trailer to make your life a little easier.
- Quality time with the kids: It is important to spend ample time with the kids at this age. And if you can take out such time to be a quality outdoors time, what could be better? Using a bike trailer, you can take your child out with you biking and it will be a great way to stay connected to your child and having a good time outdoors too.
- Great way to exercise: While cycling in itself is a great way to exercise and keep in shape by maintaining fitness. However, having kids up to 6 years of age can really set you back in the same. With the bike trailer, you can get to keep up with your regular cycling workout and at the same time, you get to take your child with you. Hence, no worries and stuff.
- Fresh change for the kids: It is also important to let your child experience the natural environment at regular intervals. You can do that just right by using a bike trailer. While you go on keeping up with your biking workout, your child gets access to the fresh air and the natural surroundings which would help him/her to develop nicely.
- No storage problem: While a bike trailer may seem to take up extra space in your closet, it isn’t true in the case of the ones available nowadays. The bike trailers available now can easily be folded, also the wheels on them. They will not take up too much space in your closet and hence, you won’t face storage problems with a bike trailer.
- Use as a carriage: After your kid, has reached an age when they are not eligible for thetrailer, you can still put the bike trailer to a good use. You can use to carry around stuff like groceries and other small items you buy during your shopping. It can be used as a carriage that holds your stuff if you need some wherever you go.
Factors to consider before buying a Bike Trailer
Before buying a bike trailer, there are some basic points you will need to consider so that you don’t miss out on anything while selecting the perfect and the safest one.
So, here are the factors to be considered before making the final purchase.
- Weight and strength: Some bike trailers are made up of steel, while others are made from aluminum. As per the strength and weight factors are considered, the aluminum ones are recommended since they are lightweight and stronger. You will need to go for lightweight trailers that are equally strong as well so that you won’t have to take on too much extra weight during biking.
- Hitching system: Most hitches that come with the bike trailer are universal and attaches irrespective of the bike type. However, before buying a bike trailer, it is advised to carefully look for the hitching system and ensure it is strong enough. For child safety, this should be looked in closely and a strong supporting system for the hitching much always be chosen.
- Two in one: Most bike trailer models available today offer multipurpose uses. Some bike trailers can also be converted into a simple stroller for toddlers and small babies. If you are investing in a bike trailer, try and go for one which can also act as a stroller. This way you will be able to get the most out of your investment and for a longer time.
- Seating: The seating system inside the trailer must be comfortable. Usually, the hammock style seating is recommended as it helps to pass the effect of small rocks that come in the way. Also, if it is a two kids bike trailer, the seating system must be comfortable and there must be ample space to breathe. This you can choose subjectively, depending on the size of your child.
- Protective coverage: Before finalizing the bike trailer, you must make sure that the protective covering over it is just right. It must be strong to withhold protection from rain, UV rays and also must have enough ventilation as to not create an uncomfortable environment for your child inside. Also, you must be able to see you child through it clearly.
Top 4 Best Bike Trailers Reviews of 2018
It is a bike trailer by Aosom which is perfect for cycling and jogging enthusiasts. It is perfect to seat two children and can also work as a stroller. The key features of this bike trailer have been mentioned as follows.
- It features a locking swivel front tire and a full suspension system.
- The included full suspension system makes this bike trailer much more comfortable for your kids.
- This bike stroller is suitable to be useful in most all kinds of terrains.
- It also comes with a hand lock brake system on rear wheel so you can lock the stroller while parked.
- It also features front wheel swivel for strolling and it can easily be locked in for jogging or be removed completely while in use as a bike trailer.
- The maximum weight limit for this bike stroller is 88 lbs.
- It requires the use of no tools for setup or breakdown.
- The overall dimensions of this bike trailer are 55 x 36 x 42 inches.
- The total weight of this bike trailer is 43 lbs.
- It comes in red/black color.
It is a versatile bike trailer by Pacific Cycle which comes with a mesh screen and a weather shield that ensures the safety of your child against humidity or dusty weather. It can also be conveniently stored. The key features of this bike trailer are mentioned as follows.
- It is a versatile bike trailer which features a durable design.
- It is a single-passenger bike trailer.
- It offers an outstanding value for family-minded recreational cyclists.
- It features a simple design that folds down for easy storage and transportation.
- It also comes with a two-in-one canopy and has a bug screen and a weather shield too.
- The coupler with this bike trailer attaches to almost any bicycle.
- It also comes with a folding frame and tool that ensure a free and quick release wheels that collapse easily for storage and transport.
- This bike trailer features the 16-inches pneumatic tires.
- The harness secures the child in the seat.
- The total weight capacity of this bike trailer for a single child is 40 lbs.
- The overall dimensions of this bike trailer are 6.75 x 20.75 x 32.5 inches.
- The total weight of this bike trailer is 28 pounds.
- It comes in a green/graycolor.
It is an easy bike stroller by Allen Sports which is really lightweight and bears a durable design and easily get affixed to almost any kind of bike. The key features of this bike trailer are mentioned as follows.
- It is very lightweight and has been constructed from steel.
- It is very safe for use and it comfortably transports 2 children of up to 100 lbs. maximum payload.
- It also comes with a foot guard tube to protect the child’s feet.
- It bears 16-inches inflated rear wheels along with a safety harness and a safety flag.
- It features a folding design and quick release wheels that make it easy for storage and transportation purposes.
- It also comes with a rear storage compartment.
- It also has Velcro weather and bug screens for extra protection.
- It also comes with a helmet pocket and requires the use of no extra tools for assembling or detaching the bike trailer.
- The overall dimensions of this bike trailer are 7.3 x 26.5 x 31.5 inches.
- The total weight of this bike trailer is 26.05 pounds.
- It comes in a red color.
It is a comfortable two seater bike trailer by Pacific Cycles. It can also be easily converted to a stroller to upgrade your morning jogs. The key features of this bike trailer have been mentioned as follows.
- This bike trailer offers an outstanding value for family-minded recreational cyclists.
- It features a simple design that folds down for easy storage and transportation.
- It comes with a two-in-one canopy and has a bug screen and a weather shield for optimum protection of the child.
- It bears 16-inch pneumatic air tires with molded rims that provide performance and style.
- The coupler with this bike trailer attaches to almost any kind of bicycle.
- The overall assembled dimensions of this bike trailer are 51.8 x 32.5 x 31.9 inches.
- The package dimensions are 32 x 5.7 x 2 inches.
- It can bear 2 children of up to 40 lbs each.
- It comes with a collapsible folding frame.
- It also has a room for additional 12 lbs of gear.
- It also includes a safety flag and a rear ventilation window with a 5-point safety harness.
- It is made up of steel and comes in light blue/graycolor.
- The total weight of this bike trailer is 23 pounds.
These bike trailer can be the easiest and the most effective way to keep your child with you safely and still have a good and peaceful workout through the cycling routine. Spending a quality time with your children outdoors and at the same time keeping yourself fit is all this bike trailer is all about. Keeping in mind the weight factors and other things mentioned earlier, you can choose the best kind for you.