Fixed blade knives are basically of the non-foldable variety. Hundreds of tasks can be handled with these knives that are designed in such a way that their users never fall short of uses to put them into. So, with so many applications, they sure can be an important addition to your tool kit. One of the most important aspects of these knives is the variety in which they are found in the market. Starting from throwing knives and boot knives to survival knives and hunting knives, the varieties available in the non- foldable category are large. Even dive knives are found that help divers handle underwater crises. And don’t worry; choosing one suited to your needs isn’t as difficult as it appears to be. All you have to do is pinpoint your requirements, and you are good to go. With hundreds of choices at your disposal, you sure will be able to bring home a knife in accordance with your preferences and budget.
- 2 Best Fixed Blade Knives 2017
- What is a Fixed Blade Knife?
- Why Do You Need a Fixed Blade Knife?
- What Factors to Consider When You Buy a Fixed Blade Knife?
- Types and Designs of Fixed Blade Knives to Consider
- Top 2 Fixed Blade Knives Reviews 2017
2 Best Fixed Blade Knives 2017
|Best Fixed Blade Knives||Review||Price|
|#1 Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Knife||Read Review||Check Price|
|#2 Smith & Wesson H.R.T. SWHRT9B||Read Review||Check Price|
Below, you find a comprehensive guide on fixed blade knives and how they may help you handle your day-to-day tasks more effortlessly-
What is a Fixed Blade Knife?
A fixed blade knife, as the name suggests, comes with a blade that is fixedly attached to the handle. It is the best variety of knives as far as durability is concerned. These knives don’t run the risk of getting loose at the hinge where the blade and the handle meet. Loosening of hinges is a common problem with foldable knives and is the prime reason why people dislike them despite their compact structure. Foldable knives are good as long as they are in good shape. When they begin to grow loose, they start causing injuries. Loose foldable knives may hurt the user as they often go out of control. Also, if the blade and the handle separate for once, there is no way you can get back the firmness the knife possessed at the time of purchase.
In addition, non-foldable knives can be put to varied uses. Hence, may be considered the most versatile variety. What more? They are loved by hunters, campers and sportsmen alike. Although possession of these knives is legal in most countries, it’s highly advisable that you consult your land’s laws before investing any money on one.
Why Do You Need a Fixed Blade Knife?
Have present-day movies made you believe that fixed blade knives are the more serious kind? Well, that’s the reality to a considerable extent. But this shouldn’t make you also believe that their functionality is restricted. Believe it or not- fixed blade knives can be used in any environment just as their foldable counterpart can be. So, why have apprehensions? Just read on and find out why they are the best knives ever created-
- The first and most important reason is their size. They are generally bigger than other varieties of knives available in the market. Hence, more robust. If you don’t want your fixed blade knife to perform heavy-duty tasks, you can go for the smaller sizes available for purchase. These knives are found in all imaginable sizes. But your decision to opt for any particular size should be guided by your cutting requirements.
- As discussed above, they are more durable than their foldable counterpart. Why? Because there is no moving component in such a knife which could cause it to break. Since they don’t easily get damaged, you save on a lot of money that you would have otherwise wasted making repeat purchases.
- Maintaining them is as easy as ABC. The lack of movable parts and hinges in them makes fixed blade knives pretty simple in design and of course, convenient to maintain.
- They are a boon to people who are obsessed with cleanliness. Fixed blade knives are pretty straightforward in design, with no obvious grooves and holes. As a result, they don’t attract as much dirt and dust as by foldable knives. Hence, extremely easy to clean.
- Fixed blades are usually longer than foldable blades. This makes cutting larger objects such as fruits, a piece of cake.
- These knives are more user-friendly than other varieties available. Also, during a crisis situation, fixed knives prove more efficient as they don’t take as long to open as do foldable knives. So, using a fixed blade knife when you are in a tactical situation is the wisest thing to do.
- This knife can also be considered an amazing survival tool and a must-have in your arsenal. With the right fixed blade knife, you can undertake tasks like meal preparation, hunting, digging, splitting, prying etc. without putting in a lot of efforts.
What Factors to Consider When You Buy a Fixed Blade Knife?
No doubt, you know what a good knife looks like. But looks, more often than not, can be deceptive. There are other things that make a knife good or bad. To be able to pick the right knife from a pile of them lying somewhere, you have to be able to inspect a knife like a pro. If you think that’s not possible on your part, here are a few thumb rules that will make choosing a good knife easy for you-
- Before heading to the market and picking a product, you should know what you need it for. Similar is the case with fixed blade knives. If you are not aware of your requirements, you will probably end up picking the wrong item, which is absolutely undesirable. After all, you are putting your hard-earned money into the purchase.
So, how to figure out what your requirements are? Observe what you need a knife for, on a day-to-day basis. If you are a homemaker who spends most of her time inside the kitchen, you will probably need a knife not very useful to someone who is outdoorsy and carries her knife to support adventure activities.
There are various types of fixed handle knives available in the market. Choosing one from among them is not an uphill task if you know what you need it for. Different knives have different dedicated purposes. So, if you need one for some specific purpose, you must select it accordingly. Knives can perform poorly if they are used for purposes they are not meant to serve.
- Although, sometimes overlooked, a brand’s role in the quality of performance given by a knife is significant. There are brands dedicated to producing quality products. If you know what these brands are, you will be able to narrow down your choices for a risk-free selection. Although, a little pricey, good reputed brands assure you quality that cheap brands fail to offer. Having said that, it’s not meant that cheap brands always make flimsy products. Being choosy in this regard would be of help.
- Choosing the right material is also very important. And we are not talking about the material of the blade alone; we are talking about that of the handle as well. Some knives come with wooden handles, others with plastic. If you want the knife for outdoor uses, it must offer you a good grip. Materials that are a little on the slippery side could miserably fail on this front. Go for a material that you think would offer you the perfect grip.
Likewise, the material of the blade should be chosen according to the use you are going to put it into. Usually, the best material to go for is stainless steel. However, in some parts of the world, knives with iron blades are preferred. For regular use, a decent knife with a nice stainless steel blade is the best.
Types and Designs of Fixed Blade Knives to Consider
Options are endless when it comes to buying a fixed blade knife. There are so many different shapes, materials and designs that you will be spoilt for a choice. However, with some knowledge regarding the types of fixed blade knives available, chances are bleak that you will make a wrong purchase. Below, you find a list of well-known fixed blade knife types-
- Hunting knives– One of the most common type of fixed blade knives is the hunting or outdoor knives. All nature lovers including fishermen and hunters swear by this type. Some of the most widely used varieties include fillet knives, boning knives and typical hunting knives. Sometimes, they may also come equipped with gut-hooks. These knives, with the myriad shapes and sizes they come in, can prove really handy for any outdoorsy person.
- Neck and boot knives– These knives fall into the fixed blade category. And they are meant for the purpose of concealment. They are smaller in size and may come fitted with palm handles.
- Tactical Knives– They are generally straight, and look extremely sleek. Their main purpose is to provide self-defense to the user. There is a kind of subtlety in their structure and design. Although, they are meant to tackle tactical situations, people put them into a wide range of other roles.
- Throwing knives– As the name suggests, they are meant for throwing at targets. So, these make a great self-defense or hunting tool.
- Bowie Knives– Bowie knives have been in existence for over a century now. They were originated in America and are still popular. These knives are meant for heavy tasks. And you can use them regularly without actually wearing them out. They are the best knives for cutting purposes and are used to cut objects as hard and thick as sticks and twigs. Some also render them fit for hunting purposes.
- Kitchen Knives– One of the most common yet popular fixed blade knife variety is the kitchen knives. Because the roles performed by these knives aren’t confined to food preparation, they can be found in a wide variety of sizes, structures and materials.
Top 2 Fixed Blade Knives Reviews 2017
This knife is great for outdoor use as it’s made of hardened Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel which offers it incredible robustness. If you work outdoors with your knife, you probably know how easy it is to lose control of its grip. So, one thing that any outdoor loving person looks for in his knife is a great grip. Therefore, a knife with a nice grip proves really helpful for people out on camping or other adventure activities. This product with its patterned, high friction grip makes for an amazing outdoor tool. With a weight of 116g, overall length of 8.6 inches, blade thickness of 0.1 inch and blade length of 4.1 inches, this product may be considered the right size to fit into your tool kit.
- Comes with a belt clip and a plastic sheath with a matching color.
- Limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty.
- Blades are sharp and easy to sharpen.
- Some users complain that the knife loses its sharpness quickly.
- There may be discoloration at the tip of the knife
The Black 7Cr17 High Carbon Stainless Steel Duel Edged Spear Point Blade of the knife with Blood Groove offers a great user experience. Both the handle and the booth sheath are of uncompromised quality and offer great durability. At this price, you probably can’t ask for more. With a weight of 0.5 pounds, overall Length of 9.00 inches including 4.25 inches of handle length and 4.75 inches of blade length, the knife comes really handy.
It’s a great tool for someone looking to use it for recreational purposes. Nevertheless, you can also put it into professional use.
- Compact and easy to carry.
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Great design.
- Some people may find the handle short.
- May not be ideal for use as a throwing knife; the blade may get dents.
A fixed blade knife is something you can use in a range of situations. Hence, it’s a must-have tool for anyone who frequently uses a knife. So, don’t just keep on pondering; head out to the market or browse through a couple of shopping sites and get one for yourself, without further ado.