How many times has it so happened to you that you felt embarrassed in a job interview because the interviewer cringed to see your documents tattered? It’s not that you kept them always lying outside, but papers- no matter how thick- tend to wear out over time. And that is why it is important to take proper care of all your documents.
There are many ways you can keep your documents appearing new and unused, one of them is lamination. Lamination is not a new practice though; it’s been around for years. But because it is effective beyond question, it is still excessively popular in all parts of the world. It protects your documents by giving them a thick plastic coating that doesn’t easily come off.
And the best part is that it doesn’t burn big holes in your pocket, even if you get it done by professionals. However, if you get your own laminating device, the cost per lamination will become negligible. So, it’s wiser to invest on a laminator than seeking professional intervention.
Best Laminators of 2019 (Table):-
|Best Laminators||Editor Ranking||Review||Price|
|Scotch TL901C-T Laminator||#1||Read Review||Check Price|
|AmazonBasics Laminator||#2||Read Review||Check Price|
With so many brands and products available in the market, it can be confusing sometimes for an interested buyer to make a choice. In that case, the guide below will help you immensely-
What is a Laminator?
A laminator is a device that sticks transparent protective sheets on both the sides of an item with the use of heat or pressure. Hence, effectively, it’s a way that helps protect important documents and certain other items that tend to get worn out easily. Laminator has become a common device nowadays and may be spotted in Schools, offices as well as homes. A lot of schools use laminators to protect bulletin boards and crucial documents. Offices use them for covering identity cards, badges, licenses and other important papers. Even certain businesses find them extremely useful.
It goes without saying how valuable a tool laminators have become over time. So, there is no reason why you shouldn’t have one at your place. They are available in different types and designs and you can choose the one that best fits your requirements.
If you are still not sure whether or not to invest on one, read on to get guided in the right direction-
Why Do You Need a Laminator?
If you are someone who has to deal in documents all the time, you probably understand how difficult it is to keep them in good shape. Sometimes, they get worn out and look like they were never taken care of, which may not be true. At other times, dust or spilled liquid damages them completely. Your documents are also not safe if your house is not pest-free, no matter where in the house you have kept them. The rodents and cockroaches will find them and most likely gorge on them. A nightmare, isn’t it? Now, the simple answer to all of these concerns is a laminator. Just bring one home and offer protection to all your documents in no time. Below, you find more reasons that make owning a laminator indispensible for you-
- The first and most important reason why you need a laminator is that you can’t afford to damage your documents. After all, they are so crucial to your career and academic life. You lose one of them and life becomes miserable. That is the reason why most people maintain a file or folder of documents, regardless of how careless they otherwise are. You need to keep your documents protected at all times, and a laminator does exactly that for you. It gives a hard plastic coating to your documents which makes them least prone to damage.
- The second reason is that it saves you a lot of money. You keep receiving certificates and mark sheets throughout your academic life. Then, when you start working, they keep handing you documents for every this that. Hence, there comes a point when these documents consume almost all of your office space. Now, imagine if you had to get all of these seemingly important papers laminated at a print shop, how much money you would spend. However, with a smart investment such as a laminator, such costs can be cut down considerably.
- This device also offers you the luxury of getting your laminations done from inside the cozy confines of your home. Forget about dressing up and heading to a print shop to get even one paper laminated. You can do it yourself, right where you are.
What Factors to Consider When You Buy a Laminator?
Now, that you have decided to expend on this amazing device, it would be desirable for you to learn how to choose the right one for your needs. And because it’s not something that you will dispose off after a few uses, choosing it with the utmost care is imperative. Also, there is no point picking an item that doesn’t even meet your most basic expectations. Understand your requirements first and then consider thoroughly which brand, type or model suits you. Once you have done your research, you are good to go. Just go through the points below and you will have a fair idea on how to zero in on the best product in the market-
- Laminators are found in different widths. To choose one, you must know what document widths you will be laminating most. The easiest way to figure this out is by considering the widest print you must have ever laminated. Also, don’t forget to check the print compatibility of the device. Although, most devices are able to laminate all types of prints, there may exceptions to this. So, being careful is the key.
- Is it a poster, vinyl banner or a simple A4 document? It is important to pinpoint what kind of items you will use your laminator for. There are different laminator models available in the market for different items. Don’t be ignorant and choose the one that serves your purpose best.
- Not all laminators are made alike. Some are strong and robust with the ability to laminate as many items as you would want it to. Others may be a little fragile. It is advisable that you choose a laminator according to the volume of work it will be made to handle.
- You should also consider the factor of functionality. Certain materials of which laminable items are made may be pressure sensitive. There are also materials that are heat-activated. Keep in mind that not all laminators show compatibility towards a wide range of materials. Doing a little research in this regard will help you narrow down your choices.
- Don’t forget to check the product’s ease-of-use. In fact, you should keep this factor in mind even if you are going to use your laminator infrequently. A laminator is of no use to you if you can’t operate it in a hassle-free manner, howsoever much it appeals to others in the business. Choose a type that you feel comfortable using, not the type that’s in trend or sells best.
- The price of the product can also be a crucial decisive factor. Going for an inexpensive product with great specifications is always better than forking out on an expensive dumb gadget. However, if you feel a little dicey about cheap items, then you sure can go for a branded one, but make sure users say only great things about it. For this, checking out a few online reviews of the product can prove really beneficial.
Types and Designs of Laminators to Consider
The fact that the market is full of options can make it difficult for you to come down in favor of one particular laminator. That is why it’s important to know what types of this product are available for purchase and how one differs from the other. The following is a guide for you to boost your understanding linked to laminators.
Pouch laminators are not meant for larger projects. They are best suited for lower volume of lamination work. One can use this particular type to laminate photos and id cards. Even regular documents can be laminated without any hassle.
A peculiar feature of this device is that the machine and the laminate are not attached to each other. In order to get something laminated, you need to put it inside the laminate first, and then turn the laminator on for it to get heated up.
Now, you insert the pouch in the laminator and the rollers present inside pull the pouch in and the process of lamination starts. This laminator is handy and easy to use.
The uniqueness of this machine lies in the fact that it saves heat sensitive documents from being damaged during lamination. So, basically it is meant for laminating items made of heat sensitive materials only. All kinds of carbon copies and documents having inkjet prints can be laminated using this product. Now, the question that arises here is- if cold laminators don’t use heat, how do they laminate? They laminate with the help of pressure. This variety is a little cheaper. Hence, pocket-friendly.
Top 2 Best Laminator Reviews 2019
How long do you want your laminator to take to get warmed up? As quickly as possible, isn’t it? Well, scotch does that for you. It warms up in a very little time, at most 3 or 4 minutes, and this offers the gadget great agility.
Gone are the days when you had to wait for a long time to get one letter-size page laminated. Today, you can get it laminated in just one minute with the help of this product. So, if you are thinking of investing on scotch, you are probably thinking of making a smart investment. Scotch allows an input of 9”, sufficient for routine needs. Besides, you can use different pouch sizes with this device, the largest being 9” in width.
The laminator facilitates two temperature settings making it compatible for 3 mil and 5 mil pouches. What you get as a result is a high-quality finish, similar to professional laminations.
You will be amazed to know how easy it is to carry this device. There is also a provision for hidden cord storage to make sure the cords don’t stick out like a sore thumb. So far so good, now, let’s look at the pros and cons-
- A light indicator glows when the machine is ready to perform after the warm up session
- You get 2 letter-size Scotch Thermal Pouches on purchase
- 1-year limited warranty support offered
- The paper inserted in the machine may, in some cases, get jammed
- Durability issues may arise
- Some users complain of heating problems
Whether it’s a business card, a photo or a letter, you can get it laminated with the help of this product. The device offers two basic heat settings- 3 mil and 5 mil, and allows a maximum of 9 inches of document size as input. If you are looking to laminate card stocks, photos or regular documents, you can choose the 3mil setting. However, if you are laminating thinner papers then turning the 5 mil heating mode on will do. Both 3 mil and 5 mil laminating pouches work perfectly fine with this device. People, who loathe waiting for the laminate to warm up, will love this product as it takes only four minutes for this purpose.
Dished out here are a few important pros and cons of this laminator variety-
- Compact and easy to carry
- Sleek design
- Less expensive as compared to scotch
- Confusing indicator
- Sheets may get stuck inside.
If you have school going kids at home or your profession needs you to get a lot of documents laminated, then choosing to have a laminator at home would be ideal. And with so many varieties available for purchase, selecting the best one for your needs shouldn’t be a problem.