Rain is one weather condition that takes place everywhere be it a tropical city or a desert. Rain jackets are an essential part of your wardrobe no matter what part of the world you live in. These are very comfortable because you can wear them over your clothes and save yourself from getting wet. There are so many options of rain jackets available these days that it is becoming a fashion statement for both men and women. These can also be used as the casual outerwear during the monsoons. Such a jacket, when combined with the rain pants, makes a rain suit. The availability of a number of styles and the advantages these provide make them a must have for everyone.
- What is a Rain Jacket?
- Top Five Reasons Why You Must Buy a Rain Jacket
- Factors to Consider Before Buying a Rain Jacket
- Top 4 Best Rain Jacket Reviews of 2019
What is a Rain Jacket?
A rain jacket is a type of water resistant piece of clothing that is worn to protects the body from the rain. These jackets are usually waist length and are made of gore-tex or Tyvek. Nylon is also used in making these jackets. These are designed for all body types and people of all ages. The amount of rain that a rain jacket can handle is usually measured in millimeters. Since the raincoats are such an important piece of clothing, they come in various styles and colors. Initially, they were made in only very few colors like black, gray or khaki but now they are found in every possible color combination.
Top Five Reasons Why You Must Buy a Rain Jacket
The rain jackets have been used by the people for many years and almost everyone has used a rain jacket sometime in their lives. If you do not have it or are planning to buy a new one, we give you the top five reasons why you should have one:
- Protects from the rain– The very first and the most obvious use of a rain jacket is that it protects you from the rain. Nobody likes when it suddenly starts to rain heavily and they have to take an umbrella to work and end up getting half wet before reaching the destinations. Even though umbrellas are good for light rain, these jackets can protect you from heavy rains and would not let your perfect dress of shirt be spoiled. You can also add rain pants with them if you are worried about the ankle of your trousers getting wet.
- Versatile and comfortable– Rain jackets comes in many shapes like long, short, chained, unchained, hooded, not hooded, with pockets, without pockets and much more. These can be bought according to your comfort and liking. Moreover, such a jacket serves the dual purpose of saving you from rain as well as protecting you from cold. The rain jacket’s fabric is designed such that they are very comfortable to wear and gives your skin space to breathe.
- Helps avoid diseases– With the monsoon comes various diseases. Getting wet in the rain can lead to many viruses and bacterial infections. There are already so many active infections present in the air during the winters, the least we can do is stop them from entering our body because of the water. Diseases like cold, flu, fungal infections, and sometimes pneumonia are caused by staying wet for a long time. A rain jacket will ensure that you stay warm and dry and do not contract any infections.
- Fashion statement– Since rain jackets are being used so much, it is obvious that the fashion industry has done some nice experiments on them. They have become a fashion statement now. You can find these in varying colors from blacks and browns to opaque reds and pinks to bright neon shades. They are even available as transparent jackets which can be layered with an outfit to make it look even better.
- Sailing – when you’re out sailing in the water, your clothes are surely going to get wet. The waves come up high on the boat’s surface and you will need a rain jacket to protect your head and upper body from getting wet. This will let you make the most of your sailing experience without getting wet and sick.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Rain Jacket
Buying a rain jacket is very necessary for every individual. But buying a new rain jacket can be quite confusing for some people considering a number of options available in the market. So if you are planning to buy one for you, here are a few things to consider:
- Waterproof and breathable: The first thing to consider before buying a rain jacket is its waterproofness. There are several types of clothes available in the market today that claim to be waterproof but somehow after you buy them, the rain seeps in and makes you wet. It is obvious that no cloth is 100% waterproof but it is advisable to look for the once that have durable water repellent on the outer part of the jacket. The durable water repellent can also be restored when the initial coating wears off. Another factor to consider is breathability. Sometimes you need to wear the jacket for the whole day and even do some physical activity in them. For this, you need a fabric that lets your skin breathe while protecting you from the rain. Imagine hiking with a plastic rain jacket on, the rain will not get in but you are sure to perspire a lot. Also, keep in mind the two terms water resistant and waterproof are not the same. Water resistant fabric only resists water for a short duration of time and when the water stays on its surface for a longer time, it absorbs the water and let it inside the fabric.
- Style– with so many styles of rain jackets available in the market, it sometimes becomes really tough to choose. So, just make a list of the essential things that you want from the rain jacket like the hood, or the number of pockets, buttons or zippers and other things like this. Now rain jackets are available in various lengths also. So, you need to determine what length suits you the most. Also, you can opt for an attachable or detachable hood. Some people want to carry their stuff in their pockets like their cell phones and wallets, so make sure that the pocket is waterproof.
- Size and fit– Everyone has their own choice of fitting. Some people like loose clothes and some like them tight. No matter what your size preferences are just kept in mind that the jacket needs to let your skin breath and also does not let the water in. Extremely loose jackets can let the water come in from the places like the neckline. Extra tight jackets will not let the skin breath and you will feel uncomfortable all day. So but the one that fits you.
- Color– The color should be chosen according to the place you want to wear the jackets at. You can not wear bright colors to work and if you are a business professional or a person with a 9 to 5 job and has to go to the office everyday, subtle shades will suit you. If you do not have to wear the rain jackets at an office, you can choose whatever color you like.
Top 4 Best Rain Jacket Reviews of 2019
This Columbia Men’s Watertight Front-Zip Hooded Rain Jacket is from the brand Columbia, which is one of the most trusted brands for rain jackets. This jacket is a full sleeve simple front zip jacket and gives top-notch protection from the rain. The other features of this jacket are:This Columbia Men’s Watertight Front-Zip Hooded Rain Jacket is from the brand Columbia, which is one of the most trusted brands for rain jackets. This jacket is a full sleeve simple front zip jacket and gives top-notch protection from the rain. The other features of this jacket are:
- The fabric of this jacket is 100% nylon with a 2L full dull plain weave.
- The jacket is totally waterproof and breathable. The Omni-Tech technology is used for the waterproof and breathable seam seal.
- The hood is attached to the jacket and has an adjustable string on it.
- The hem also has a drawcord to help the wearer adjust it according to his liking.
- There is an adjustable strap on the sleeves that lets you adjust the fit of the sleeves properly.
- The hand pockets that are given on the side of the jacket are zippered and the chin guard is resistant to abrasion.
- The dimensions of the jacket are 21x16x3 inches and the whole jacket is lightweight weighing around 1 pound.
- The jacket is available in 23 different colors and the color ranges from browns and blues to reds and parrot greens. You can easily choose accordingly.
Columbia Women’s Pardon My Trench Rain Jacket is a very stylish long length trench jacket from the house of Columbia. The features of this jacket are:
- The jacket is in the style of a trench coat and reaches to the mid-knee of the wearer.
- The jacket shell is made up of 100% Nylon and the lining is 100% polyester. The fabric is totally water resistant and breathable.
- There is a removable belt that can be used to adjust the jacket at the waist.
- It has an attached hood which can be adjusted with the help if the elastic string.
- The sleeve ends have adjustable straps and the jacket has a front zipper and button closure.
- There are big sized pockets on the side that can fit all your keys and wallets easily.
- There are about 15 colors available and the ladies can choose from pastels to poppy pink and the shades of black and blues.
The Paradox Waterproof & Breathable Women’s Rain Jacket is a very pretty front zipped rain jacket. The features of this jacket are:
- The shell of this jacket is made of 80% nylon and 20% polyester and the coating is 100% polyurethane.
- The jacket is totally waterproof and the outer part of the jacket has a water repellent layer. The fabric is very breathable and you can participate in physical activities while wearing this.
- The seam seal is windproof and its raised pattern makes the jacket fabric very light and easily compressible. So the jacket will keep you dry as well as warm.
- The product dimensions are 11x7x2 inches and the jacket is very lightweight.
- There is an attached hood on the jacket that has an adjustable elastic strap for adjustments.
- There is zip on the chest area and two pockets on the size. The closure is zippered and keeps the jacket intact on your body.
- The jacket has a perfect tailored fitting that will make you look really stylish while protecting you from the rain and the wind.
The Paradox Men’s Waterproof Rain jacket is a very comfortable waterproof rain jacket from the house of Paradox. The features of this jacket are:
- The jacket is totally waterproof and very breathable with the shell being made out of 80% nylon and 20% polyester.
- The fabric is made with such technology that it is waterproof and has a coating of water repellent that does not let even a drop of water to enter the cloth.
- The water repellent finish also makes the jacket windproof and is sure to keep you warm on those cold rainy days. Since the fabric is very breathable, you can participate in the outdoor sporting activities in this jacket easily.
- The jacket is very lightweight and its fabric is made as such that it is easily compressible into small spaces.
- The jacket has an attached hood and the hood can be adjusted with the elastic string attached to it. There is a front pocket on the left and two side pockets to keep your belongings.
- The jacket is supposed to be machined washed and only in cold water. If possible hand washing is a better option.
Buying a rain jacket is an essential requirement for everyone. With so many choices available in the market, buying the perfect jacket for yourself can be a daunting task. A good rain jacket should have features like being waterproof, it should have a breathable fabric and the cloth should be durable. Other additional properties to consider are the color, length and fit.
The rain jackets not only help you protect yourself from the rain but also are a good choice of clothing to keep yourself warm during the winters. Stay stylish and look good whilst protecting yourself from the rain and cold.
There are numerous brands that specialize in making these rain jackets. Initially these were made out of tarpaulin fabric which was also known as the Indian rubber cloth. The stitching was done by taking the core of rubber and sandwiching it in between two pieces of fabric. These were very heavy and were not as durable. But now, fabrics like polyester and nylon are being used to manufacture the cloth for rain jackets. These are more durable, lightweight and easily compressible. Many features like water repellent coating, comfortable pockets and zipping have also been introduced into them. There is a rain jacket for every need in every design possible.