Connecting or detaching wires at a household basis calls in for the use of appropriate tools. Traditionally, these tools were only owned by the electrician people to make connections using copper wires. For this purpose, a wire crimping tool is used. It very much resembles a plier-like structure and look and is used to attach wires by connecting them.
Crimping is basically deforming a wire to introduce a joint and fasten the wire into it. It can be done for low-level materials such as plastic or more stronger steel and metal crimping. Wire crimpers are meant for crimping wires. However, appropriate models can be used for crimping plastic materials too.
- What is a Wire Crimping Tool?
- Top five reasons why you need to buy a Wire Crimping Tool
- Factors to consider before buying a Wire Crimping Tool
- Top 4 Wire Crimping Tool Reviews of 2019
What is a Wire Crimping Tool?
A Wire Crimping tool is basically a kind of handheld tool which is meant for crimping wires by deforming the wire joint by sealing one wire material into another. These are mostly hand tools and work on the principle of pressure applying. One metal wire is deformed and the other metal wire is clenched into it as a result of deformation, hence joining or crimping the wires together.
These can be used in wire applications such as crimping metal connectors to wires as in coax connector assemblies and other things. These are available in different kinds of materials. The plastic material crimping tools are suitable for crimping plastic to wires. While heavy metals such as steel crimping will call in for a stronger crimping tool made of iron or any other such heavy material.
Top five reasons why you need to buy a Wire Crimping Tool
Lately, depending upon the professionals for every little household chore has been fading away. Making small wire connections at home by yourself is now easier with these easy to use crimping tools. The wire crimping tools can be used by those who need crimping activity around the house occasionally and even by those who need it quite often.
Therefore, almost everyone needs to have this tool at home for occasional or daily uses. Following are mentioned some of the reasons why you need to buy a wire crimping tool at the earliest.
- Easy to use: These wire crimping tools are very easy to use. They are mostly manual and handheld. Normally the wire crimping tool works by applying pressure while holding the handles. It isn’t too heavy and is very easy to connect metal connectors to wires. No expert knowledge is required and wire crimping is done is quite a straight away manner.
- Many types to choose from: If you are not comfortable with using the hand-held type of wire crimping tools, you can always opt for a different kind of crimping tools such as a manual power or a battery powered wire crimping tool. There are many kinds of wire crimping tools available from which you can choose from.
- Better connections: Using pliers and other manual activity stuff for making connections through the wire can leave a spot for imperfection or faulty connections. With the help of these wire crimping tools, better coaxial and wire connections can be made. They are effective in inducing a better joint with the wires and connectors and work well with all kinds of wires.
- Suitable for complex connections: Some of the wire connections can require complex cuts and joins and crimping for the connection to be established. For the same, these wire crimping tools are effective in making all the complex work a bit easier. They can easily crimp wires from multiple joints and prove to be useful in complex situations as well.
- Can be multipurpose: Not only can these wire crimping tools be used for wire crimping applications, but some of these models can also be used for wire cutting work too. As a work that is normally provided by a plier, a wire crimping tool can also serve those purposes easily.
Factors to consider before buying a Wire Crimping Tool
Before buying an ideal wire crimping tool, you need to keep in mind the following mentioned points.
- Light-weighted: A wire crimping tool must be very light weight. Since it is a hand tool, the added weight of it will hinder with the easy usage of this tool. It must be light weighted so that no additional weight is put onto to the hands and no hand pain or sprain is caused as a result of using this tool.
- Not too tight: These wire crimping tool must not be too right or rigid to work with. Essentially, the tool must not be too hard to press in with one hand, but not too loose to cancel any effect. The handles must be well attached together so that while pressing the handles in, it must not feel extra tight.
- Grip handles: Since it will be used through the hand, it is essential that it forms a firm and a comfortable grip when taken into the hands. Before buying the final set of your wire crimping tools, check for the grip of their handles according to your hand by trying a couple of sets first.
- Multi-functional: It is advisable to look for models that offer more functions than just crimping. Ideally, some of the models do offer wire cutting, molding or plier work. So, for your wire crimping tool, try to go for the one offering more number of purposes but still has a comfortable design and is easy to use.
- Size and Type: Crimping tools are available in many different sizes and types. The hand tools are available in all sizes from small to large. Depending on the size or your hand or the nature of your application, you need to choose the right size of the crimping tool for you. As per the type, you need to decide on the manual, electrical, hydraulic or the hand crimping tool.
Top 4 Wire Crimping Tool Reviews of 2019
This is a wire crimping tool by Titan Tools that depicts a ratcheting mechanism design and an adjustable crimping compression. The key features of this wire crimping tool are as follows.
- It features a comfortable grip and a strong steel jaw with colour coded wire sizes.
- It has the sizes Red: 22-18 AWG-DIN 0.5-1.0 mm, Blue: 16-14 AWG-DIN 1.5-2.5 mm, Yellow: 12-18 AWG-DIN 4-6 mm.
- The overall product dimensions of this wire crimping tool are 0.9 x 4.7 x 11.5 inches.
- The total weight of this wire crimping tool is 1.2 pounds.
This is a wire crimping and stripping tool by Irwin tools which offers a faster and an easier mechanism as a crimper, cutter or a stripper. The key features of this wire crimping tool are as follows.
- It features comfortable and textured handle grips that help in reducing hand fatigue.
- It also has special features such as spring assisted jaw opening, quick release locks, dual metal construction, built-in crimpers and AWG selection dials which are meant for some specific applications.
- It has induction hardened cutting edges for a longer stay.
- It has a plier style nose that allows the wire stripper to pull and loop in wire.
- The bolt cutter cuts bolts to size and leaves a perfect lead thread.
- It is a self-adjusting stripper that strips wire from 10-24 AWG.
- It has 6 stripping stations for 10-24 AWG selection.
- It meets or exceeds all ANSI standards.
- The overall dimensions of this wire crimping tool are 10.6 x 8.9 x 0.3 inches.
- The total weight of this wire crimping tool is 3 ounces.
- The size of this tool is 8 inches.
- It comes in multi-colour.
This is a wire crimping tool by Channellock which has been designed for the crimping of both insulated and non-insulated solderless connections and terminals. It has a sleek nose design and is capable of getting into tight places. The key features of this wire crimping tool are as follows.
- It features a laser heat treated matting edge.
- It uses high carbon C1080 steel for superior performance.
- It has a blue coloured handle which is very comfortable and easier to spot inside a tool box or bag.
- It cuts and crimps 10-22 AWG wire.
- The overall dimensions of this wire crimping tool are 11.5 x 2.9 x 0.8 inches.
- The total weight of this wire crimping tool is 0.94 pounds.
- The overall length of this tool is 9.5 inches.
- The jaw length is 1.16 inches and the joint thickness is 0.48 inches.
- The handle span is 1.89 inches.
- The cutting edge is 0.43 inch and the joint width is 1.32 inches.
- It comes in a high carbon steel colour.
- It is a made in USA tool.
This is a wire crimping tool by Iwiss which features wire-electrode cutting die sets that promise a high precision and an accurate crimping result. The other key features of this crimping tool are as follows.
- It has a crimping capacity of 0.1-1.1 mm.
- It cuts and crimps 28-18 AWG wires.
- The length of this wire crimper is 190 mm.
- The total weight of this wire crimping tool is 0.35 kg.
- It is made up of carbon steel.
- It works with molex part 43030-0006 terminal connector.
- It is good for EPS, PCIE, SATA and ATX power pins.
- The overall dimensions of this wire crimping tool are 9.5 x 4.9 x 1.2 inches.
These wire crimping tools are quite easy to use. Since these are only hand tools, they can easily be used by anyone who knows a little precaution and skill. These wire crimping tools are mostly safe since a very small area applies the pressure on the wire. Therefore, there is not such risk in using these crimping tools every day at home.
As per the grip, some of the wire crimping tools come with textured handles and grips. They offer a larger stability of the tool in the hand. Not only this, they are made in such as way so as to cause minimum fatigue or no fatigue in the hands at all. Pressing the handles inwards will apply pressure on the wire and crimp them according to the requirement.
Buying a wire crimping tool can seem a bit tedious task as most of them look similar or just the same. But with the help of some of the basic points, as mentioned above, you can choose the best kind of wire crimping tool for you. Most of the considerations for buying are very basic such as size and type. The type here considering to be only the hand-held ones, you need to go for the right size.
The length of the crimping tool must not be too long. It makes it difficult to maneuver the tool around and the grip doesn’t form the way it is supposed to. Depending upon the nature of your task, you need to make sure that the length of your wire crimping tool in not too big and not too small. Go for the grip size, and the lengths will turn up by their own.
Also, make sure that the wire crimping tool is safe to use. It contains a good, comfortable and protective handle with a good grip and does not has any defective features. Connecting wires with the metal connectors on the edges which is usually done while connecting coaxial cables is one the most common applications of these wire crimping tools.
Therefore, a wire crimping tool does makes your work simpler, as a household tool also and as a professional electrician tool also. Taking in account the tasks you need to get done, choose the right kind of crimping tool for your crimping needs.