There was a time when gaming used to be just a recreational activity for fun. With the evolution of time, as well as the technology, the term gaming has taken a new level in the modern era. Hardware companies all around the globe have been releasing a number of hardware and computer hardware products such as gaming keyboard, mouse etc.
The new one in the team is the gaming router. Specifically, it is much like a simple router but one which basically empowers the idea of online gaming. Gamers who spend major time on the internet gaming require high-speed connections and responses while playing. For the very same purpose, these gaming routers have come into existence to prove their worth.
- What is a Gaming Router?
- Top five reasons why you must buy a Gaming Router
- Factors to be considered before buying a Gaming Router
- Top 4 Best Gaming Router Reviews of 2020 (Best Modems for Gaming)
- 1. NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router (R8000)
- 2. D-Link AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router With 6 High-Performance Beamforming Antennas (DIR-890L/R)
- 3. ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router, AiProtection with Trend Micro for Complete Network Security
- 4. NETGEAR CM700 32×8 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Bundle with NETGEAR Nighthawk X4 Ultimate Gaming Router
What is a Gaming Router?
A gaming router is very much similar to a basic router which a difference that it is specially designed to prioritize the gaming packets over all another kind of network traffic. People very much involved in the online gaming keep looking for a faster response and processing time when playing games online. A gaming router basically puts all your gaming packets at priority #1 and thus offers high-speed connection.
This proves to be beneficial and gives an unbounded experience in online gaming. If you are downloading files using bit torrent on one side and playing an online game on the other side, the packets requests for the gaming will be put above the bit torrent download files. This is a great thing for the gamers who want to have the maximum for their gaming experience.
Top five reasons why you must buy a Gaming Router
For some of the serious gamers out there, and especially, the ones who enjoy online gaming must have a gaming router in place of an ordinary router. While the gaming router will perform the function of a normal router, it will give an unparalleled gaming experience too. Some of the other basic advantages that a gaming router provides also support this fact.
So, following are mentioned some of the top reasons as to why you need to buy a gaming router for your home at the earliest.
- Uninterrupted gaming experience: One of the foremost advantages of having a gaming router is that it offers an uninterrupted gaming experience. While playing an online game, you would want that the network packets of the game are put first and that no other packets interrupt them. That is what is offered by a gaming router.
- Great processor speeds: A gaming router usually bears an amazing processor speed which is the reason why it gives such high-speed connections while playing the game. There are no lags and the functionality of the router is high which makes no space for speed drops too. This is the main reason why a gaming router is best for online gaming.
- Bandwidth Allocation: With a gaming router, one of the most important features it offers is the bandwidth allocation. You can allocate all the bandwidth to your game or you can allocate all the bandwidth to any other different activity on your network connection. By allocating the bandwidth to your game only, you can establish a superior gaming connection.
- Stable connection: Using a gaming router, it offers a more stable connection when playing a game. When using a simple router, there are times when the connection is lost or paused because of other data streaming and the gaming connection becomes unstable. But a gaming router ensures a stable network connection throughout the game.
- Advanced security: When using a simple router while gaming, there is a high chance of hacking and infringement. Hackers can potentially try to implant a virus into the game. However, a gaming router takes care of this by providing advanced security options so that you no longer have to worry about any security risks and other things.
Factors to be considered before buying a Gaming Router
Before buying a gaming router, you need to take care of certain things so that the router you buy is the best one. Read the basic points given below to land on just the right gaming router for you.
- The quality of service Engine (QoS): The main purpose of a gaming router is that it must provide traffic shaping or what is also known as quality of service (QoS). What QoS feature does is that it lets you prioritise the network traffic for a specific purpose such as gaming or video streaming. This is an important feature that must be present in your gaming router.
- Processor speed: Gaming routers with different levels of processor speeds are available nowadays. Before buying your gaming router, the processor speed must be taken into serious consideration. If the processor speed is low, it will create hindrance in the fine connection or will impose lags. Therefore, this is an important point that must be considered.
- Cooling: Due to prolonged use of the gaming router while playing online games all day, the heating problem is almost sure to occur. To combat the same, your gaming router must have an effective cooling system to deal with the same. Without a cooling system, the heating can destroy the router very soon and makes it no good for use.
- Gigabit Ethernet ports: If you are planning on buying a wireless gaming router, you must check that it has the gigabit Ethernet ports installed. The main advantage of these ports is that you can directly connect your gaming console or computer to it through a LAN wire and make use of the 1Mbps speed. This ensures a more reliable access to a gaming platform such as Xbox Live.
- Dual-band: Whether you use the internet all by yourself or share it with other members of the family, it is best to go for a dual band router. Because of a dual band router, you will be able to allocate 2.4 GHz bandwidth to normal activities such as surfing and downloading and allocate 5 GHz exclusively for gaming. Setting bandwidth like this offers a much more flexible control over the connection.
Top 4 Best Gaming Router Reviews of 2020 (Best Modems for Gaming)
It is a gaming router by Netgear which features a Tri-band WiFi that is capable of delivering multiple bands for homes with many Wifi devices. It has a superior design that offers higher scalability and maximum flexibility as per the price as well as the performance. The key features of this gaming router are as follows.
- It is a 3.2Gbps router which is the fastest combined WiFi speed for uninterrupted streaming.
- It features a tri-Band WiFi that delivers more WiFi to more devices.
- It comes with Dynamic QoS bandwidth prioritization by application and device.
- It bears 6 high-performance antennas and powerful amplifiers that are effective in maximizing range.
- It features the Smart Connect intelligently and selects the best WiFi for every device.
- It has a 1GHz dual-core processor that conveniently delivers lag-free gaming.
- It offers Implicit and explicit beamforming and also focuses WiFi signals & delivers stronger connections for mobile devices.
- It has a USB 3.0 port that delivers high-speed connections.
- It also has a storage-ready access.
- A free ReadySHARE Vault app provides automatic and a continuous scheduled backup for Windows PCs on your home network.
- It also features a NETGEAR genie which is a personal dashboard for your home network.
- With this gaming router, an open-source support has been provided on their official website.
- It automatically connects slower and faster devices in a separate WiFi network.
- It also features a load balancing to ensure that both the 5GHz WiFi networks are utilized.
- The overall dimensions of this gaming router are 11.54 x 14.41 x 3.58 inches.
- The total weight of this gaming router is 4.69 lbs.
- Total 5 LAN ports have been provided on this gaming router.
- A data transfer rate of 3200Mbps is offered.
- The wireless compatibility for this router is 802.11 A/C.
2. D-Link AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router With 6 High-Performance Beamforming Antennas (DIR-890L/R)
It is a gaming router by D-Link which is known to offer a premium performance for all the most demanding tasks such as gaming, HD streaming, and multiple device usages. It bears a dual-core processor and is a perfect combination of ease of use and performance. The key features of this gaming router are as follows.
- It offers an ultimate Wi-Fi performance with Tri-Band speeds (1 x 600 Mbps in 2.4GHz + 2 x 1300 Mbps in 5GHz).
- The tri-band is also effective in supporting the connection of more Wi-Fi devices to your high-speed home network.
- It offers a possibility of 4K/HD video and online gaming simultaneously with 3 x 3 data streams.
- It also bears 6 high-performance antennas.
- It comes with the 1GHz Dual Core processor that gives great speeds in wired as well as wireless mode.
- It comes with an advanced SmartConnect that allocates the best possible band for maximal Wi-Fi performance.
- It also features an advanced AC SmartBeam that tracks the connected devices for enhanced Wi-Fi speed and range throughout the complete network.
- It also offers an intelligent QoS traffic optimization which is effective in delivering seamless performance for your applications.
- It has an intuitive user interface that accounts for an easy installation and network management from your mobile devices or desktop.
- It has some advanced security features such as the WPA/WPA2 encryption for a safe home network.
- It offers a data transfer rate of 3200Mbps.
- The overall dimensions of this gaming router are 15 x 9.75 x 4 inches.
- The total weight of this gaming router is 2.5 lbs.
3. ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router, AiProtection with Trend Micro for Complete Network Security
It is a gaming router by ASUS that offers a smooth performance along with Tri-Band SmartConnect. The key features of this gaming router are as follows.
- It is a Tri-band router (dual 5 GHz, single 2.4 GHz) with the latest 802.11 AC and 4×4 technology for maximum throughput (5334 Mbps) and coverage area of up to 5,000 sq. ft.
- It features an MU-MIMO technology that enables multiple compatible clients to connect at each client’s respective maximum speed.
- It has a built-in access to WTFast Gamers Private Network (GPN) of route-optimized servers and ensures low and stable ping time for gaming.
- It also features an AiProtection powered by Trend Micro which provides multi-stage protection from vulnerability detection to protecting sensitive data.
- It also features an ASUS Smart Connect that delivers consistent bandwidth by dynamically switching devices between 2.4 and 5 GHz bands based on speed, load and signal strength.
- It comes with 8 external detachable antennas, an RJ-45 cable, a Power adapter, Warranty card, a Quick start guide, a Support CD.
- The overall dimensions of this gaming router are 6.5 x 24.5 x 24.5 inches.
- The total weight of this gaming router is 3.21 lbs.
- It offers a data transfer rate of 5300Mbps.
4. NETGEAR CM700 32×8 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Bundle with NETGEAR Nighthawk X4 Ultimate Gaming Router
It is a gaming router by Netgear which offers high internet speeds in both upstream and downstream channels. The key features of this gaming router are as follows.
- It offers cable internet speeds up of to 1.4Gbps –32 downstream and 8 upstream channels.
- It is perfect for the fastest internet speed service plans.
- It offers WiFi-600+1733 Mbps speeds.
- It also features a four-stream (4×4) WiFi architecture for lag-free gaming and smoother 4K video streaming.
- It also comes with a Multi-User MIMO technology for more throughput with simultaneously streamed data for multiple devices.
For people who are very much into the gaming stuff online, these wired or wireless gaming routers are the best. Most of these are Tri-band routers that provide a greater flexibility in setting up the bandwidth for different connecting devices. According to the features and the data transfer speeds favorable to you, you can select the one that suits you the best.