With the coming time, more and more people are becoming fitness oriented. A fit body is a key to a healthy mind and lifestyle. Besides being many activities available to follow to be fit, walking is one of the most effective and the cheapest source. Also, if you could count the number of steps taken by you, it would get a lot more motivating and fun.
That is what a pedometer does. It counts the number of steps taken by you while walking and the distance covered by your walk. According to some experts, an ideal number of 10k steps per day leads to a fit body. A pedometer can be used to calculate this step count easily and use it as a guidance tool or a motivator tool to help you monitor your activity progress and apply changes if needed for a fitter and a healthier way.
- What is a Pedometer?
- Top five reasons why you must buy a Pedometer
- Factors to be considered before buying a Pedometer
- Top 4 Best Pedometer Reviews of 2019
What is a Pedometer?
A pedometer is a compact and portable electronic device which is used to count the steps taken by a person during walking. A pedometer could be an electronic device or an electromechanical device too. It is usually worn on the waist belt where it monitors the movement of the legs or the hips and records the number of steps taken by the walker. Also, the length of each step is recorded using some algorithm.
These number of steps and the length of the step is multiplied to find out the distance covered in the walk. To remain fit and healthy, walking activity is the best and the easiest source. With a pedometer, it becomes, even more, easier as it helps you monitor how much activity you have done by telling you the number of steps taken plus how much more you need to add to reach the ideal limit.
Top five reasons why you must buy a Pedometer
Exercising and working out can get to be a little tedious sometimes if you have no motivation. During your workout or activity, it is important that you get to monitor your progress and apply changes if needed. This would work both as a motivation as well as a good reminder of what you are supposed to do.
So, here are the top five reasons as to why you need to buy a pedometer for your walking routine.
- Setting personal goals: Using a pedometer, you can very well set some of your personal goals of walking every day. Say, you will want to set a goal of taking 5000-6000 steps on a specific day. So, this can be measured or tracked using a pedometer. When the pedometer would hit a 6000, you will know you have reached your daily goal and it will feel awesome.
- Works as a motivator: Having a pedometer works as a great motivator. By motivation, we mean that it is good to have your progress and activity monitored. And it is even better to visualize how good you are doing and what else you need to add to reach your goals. So, as a motivator, you can make use of a pedometer to a great extent.
- Increases your activity: If you have been lying around all day and have reached a relatively fewer number of steps in a day, your pedometer will let you know that by how much you are lagging. Looking at the number of steps in the pedometer, you can yourself judge that you need to increase your activity to the required extent.
- Can be used inside the home: It is not necessary that you carry the pedometer to a proper walk routine outside in the park or in the streets. You can very well use one inside your home too. This can be done by going around cleaning your house and tracking down your progress on the pedometer which will work as workout piece too.
- Calories burnt: Some pedometers come with a feature of displaying the number of calories burnt. The number of calories burnt through the day or your walking routine are displayed and hence you can even design your healthy diet according to the number of calories burnt. This will work as a motivator for both the walking routine and the diet thing.
Factors to be considered before buying a Pedometer
Before buying a pedometer, you will need to take into consideration some of the important points so that you can land on the best pedometer for you.
Some of these important factors to be kept in mind have been mentioned as follows.
- Kind of pedometer: Before going for a pedometer, you will need to consider which type of pedometer will you be willing to buy. There are various kinds of pedometer available. Like the ones that come in fitness bands, or the cell phone pedometers or the old-school wristband ones. The difference is in the sensors that sense your steps and keeping in mind the same, you need to choose the most suitable one.
- Wearing the pedometer: Different pedometer comes in different forms. You can wear a pedometer as a wristband, or a wrist watch. Other pedometers are supposed to be kept inside the pocket. While many others are on the phone is the phone in the form of an app. Considering which one is the most comfortable and feasible for you, you can choose the one.
- Pedometer advance features: Some basic pedometers come with a basic feature of just counting the number steps you have taken. While some others come with these other added features of telling the number of calories burnt, distance covered, clock, stopwatch, alarm, pulse monitor etc. Depending on whether you need these features or not, you can opt for the ideal pedometer.
- Distance accuracy: You need to buy a pedometer that tells the accurate distance. According to experts, the accelerometer tells the exact accurate distance than the other ones. If you are looking for a different one, then you must check whether it is accurate in counting the number of steps as well as the distance.
- App/computer linked pedometers: Some pedometers have this feature of linking with a computer or a mobile app where it automatically stores the number of steps etc. by you. If you need that kind of a storage, you must buy a pedometer that is linkable in such a way to a computer or a mobile app.
Top 4 Best Pedometer Reviews of 2019
It is a smart pedometer by Omron which monitors almost any activity. It is supposed to be clipped on the pocket around the hip or can be placed around in the pocket. The key features of this pedometer are mentioned as follows.
- It operates under the 4 activity modes that track steps, aerobic steps, distance, and calories burned.
- It features a Tri-axis technology that counts the steps accurately no matter where it is positioned.
- It gets automatically reset every day.
- It is capable of storing up to 7 days of information.
- This pedometer also includes a holder.
- The functions that this pedometer provides are tracking steps, aerobic steps (i.e. healthy steps), distance walked and calories burnt.
- It also features the smart sensor technology to accurately count the number of steps.
- It is capable of keeping an accurate count of steps, no matter in what position it is kept i.e. flat, vertical or horizontal.
- It resets itself automatically at midnight for the most precise daily count.
- It can also maintain a weekly log by storing about seven days of activity data.
- This pedometer package includes 1 Pedometer, CR2032 battery installed, 1 Holder, a Screwdriver and an Instruction manual.
It is a pedometer by 3DFitBud which is very easy to use and can be worn around the neck or kept in the pocket to count the number of steps. It can be used by anyone, from children to the elderly. The key features of this pedometer are mentioned as follows.
- It is a 3D pedometer which is very simple and easy to use.
- It has a very simple and a user-friendly interface and design that makes it ideal for use by men, women, kids or the elderly who want to track their steps and stay motivated towards achieving their fitness goal.
- It is great for tracking your daily steps and it has been created with simplicity but effectively counts your steps so you can still view your progress on the move.
- It makes use of no complicated programs and all you need to do is just press the button at the back to start it.
- It gives an accurate reading with its advanced 3D Tri-Axis Sensor technology which has proven to be much more accurate than most pedometers.
- It gives a superior accuracy in reading steps in any position, whether up, down, flat on its side, or any angle.
- It is also very convenience to use and wear as it can be worn around the neck using the lanyard or placed in your pocket or bag, at any position.
- It features an extra-large digit display with a full-screen view for a clear and easy read.
- A battery has been included with this pedometer.
- It also features the auto sleep when you are not moving and the auto wake and counting steps when you start moving again.
- This pedometer package includes one 3DFitBud Simple Step Counter 3D Pedometer, a CR2032 Battery, one Neck Lanyard, one User’s Manual and a Guide to Walking for Life” PDF eBook Download.
- It comes with a warranty of 18 Months.
- The overall dimensions of this pedometer are 6 x 4 x 1 cm.
- The total weight of this pedometer is 24g.
It is a durable pedometer by OZO which is well known for its accuracy for counting steps. It can be used for outdoor fun and activity which keeps you motivated all day long. The key features of this pedometer are mentioned as follows.
- It features an accurate 3D sensor that accurately captures all your steps while walking or running which effectively helps you to improve your health.
- It comes with a large display which is very easy to read with a clock that makes it the perfect fitness monitor for men, women, seniors, the elderly and the kids.
- It is very easy to use and doesn’t require a computer, app or smartphone to operate.
- It auto-resets at midnight and also includes a 7 Day Memory Log to recall past day’s performance with ease.
- It is a silent and a small pedometer and is easy to hide in a pocket or bag or clip on your waist, belt or bra.
- It is a smart activity tracker which tracks your steps, distance traveled in Miles or Km, calories burned, speed/pace and activity time each day.
It is smart pedometer by 3DTriSport which accurately measures the steps irrespective of the position in which it is placed. The key features of this pedometer are as follows.
- It features the advanced Tri-Axis 3D Sensor Technology that records your activity in your pocket, bag or anywhere with extreme accuracy.
- It records daily steps in walking and running, distance in km and miles., Calories, fat burned and exercise time.
- It is capable of storing up to 30 days of information for tracking your progress and is highly accurate, vertically or horizontally.
Collectively, it forms up to be the best device which helps you track the number of steps effectively. Depending on what features you want, you can go around choosing the ideal kind of pedometer for your walk routine.