Getting ticketed for over-speeding has become quite a common thing nowadays with the rules getting more and more strict. Over-speeding is generally not allowed as it is seen as a protective measure to avoid the accidents on road. More than just a protective measure, it has become a great way to earn money by the officials.
It would be preferable if you would be able to recognize whether the speed of your vehicle is exceeding to limit or you are likely to get ticketed. What if we told you that you could easily get that by the use of a radar detector. Installing a separate radar detector will not only avoid a ticket for you but will also give you a confidence that everyone needs while driving.
- What is a Radar Detector?
- Top five reasons why you must buy a Radar Detector
- Factors to consider before buying a Radar Detector
- Top 4 Best Radar Detector Reviews of 2019
What is a Radar Detector?
A Radar Detector is mainly an electronic device which is used by the motorists to detect ifthe speed of their car is under the observation of a radar gun by the police. The police usually use a radar radio to send out microwave signals to detect the speed of the vehicles in the open. Any vehicle found over-speeding has issued a ticket.
What a radar detector does is that it detects these radar signals which may be coming from a police radar gun. When you are aware that your speed is being monitored, you can slow down before the radar detects your vehicle and save yourself a ticket. Modern radar detectors offer a number of additional features where they can collaborate with your smartphone via Bluetooth for a more extended use.
Top five reasons why you must buy a Radar Detector
Over-speeding is more of a necessity rather than a choice while driving a motor vehicle, a ticket is neither. Getting ticketed frequently can not only play with your confidence but also disturb your pocket expenses. A radar detector, in such a case, is going to save you from a lot of such trouble and would be a great investment if you are a regular driver.
So, the top five reasons why you need to buy a radar detector for your car have been mentioned as follows.
- Get rid of the radar gun: When asked about the primary reason to buy a radar detector, it would definitely be getting rid of the radar gun. Sometimes, when you are over-speeding, you might not realize it but you are being monitored. Using a radar detector will tell you that you are being monitored and then you can alter your speed and avoid a ticket easily.
- Technology at its best: Technological advances have been in use in various fields now. One of these being the radar detectors can surely be taken as an example of the technology being put to good use. They will save you from the charge because of the ticket and will keep you informed about your driving style and speed which is important as a safety measure.
- Portable: The radar detector is usually a small sized electronic device which is portable. You can carry it around anywhere and install it on any vehicle with minimal difficulty. If you happen to have more than 1 car, you can easily switch the radar detector from one car to another since it is portable and very easy to use and requires no technical expertise.
- Avoid accidents: The ticketing system was primarily introduced to avoid accidents caused due to driving at a speed exceeding the allowed speed limit for the street. While using a radar detector, you will not only avoid a ticket, but you will also avoid the accidents and help yourself keeping safe by taking your speed limit under control. It will work both ways.
- Save money and time: Getting caught because you were over-speeding will eat up much of your time when you have got better things to do. Also, that ticketing fine will make you compromise with a generous amount of money. But with the use of a radar detector, you can easily save both your time and money by keeping yourself monitored with you before the police radar.
Factors to consider before buying a Radar Detector
Before you buy a radar detector, you will need to take into consideration a few important points so that you can buy the right kind of radar detector for your use.
So, following are some of the important points that you need to keep in mind before making the final purchase.
- Type of Detector: Radar detectors come in basically 3 types that are corded, cordless and remote mounted. Cordless radar detectors are portable and can be switched from one car to other with easy installation. A remote mounted detector is a permanently mounted detector. Based on which one is suitable according to use, you can choose the type.
- Voice Alerts: A radar detector does have a screen that displays what the radar has captured. But taking your eyes off the road every time to look at the detector isn’t safe. Instead, look for a radar detector which gives digital voice alerts to you about whatever it captures. This feature is recommended and you must buy a radar detector that does offer voice alerts.
- Smartphone compatibility: Modern radar detectors have been equipped with the new features of providing smartphone compatibility. Many new apps have been coming on the Android as well as iOS platforms that collaborate with your radar detector and lets drivers post updates about detectors in their vicinity. This is help you keep a better track of the surroundings too.
- Laser detection: A radar detector equipped with just one laser detector will detect the radar beams only in your front and not the sides or the back. Others which are known as the 36—degree radar detectors have 2 laser detectors that detect in sides as well as the back. a 360-degree laser detection mechanism is recommended for a radar detector in general.
- City mode: Sometimes it is possible that your radar detector detects a false alarm because of a number of radio waves running out in the air. By switching on into a city mode, the sensitivity will be reduced and the false alarms will be reduced. Look for a radar detector with a city mode features which will prove to be very useful in driving in an urban area.
Top 4 Best Radar Detector Reviews of 2019
This is an intelligent and an effective radar detector by Escort. It also comes with an automatic learning feature and doesn’t produce any false alarms. The key features of this radar detector are mentioned as follows.
- It delivers an extreme long-range warning on all radar bands including X, K, Superwide Ka, and instanton POP modes.
- It also has multiple fronts and rear laser sensors that provide 360-degree laser protection, including the widest field of view.
- It can also be used in conjunction with our Laser Shifter product.
- It has been equipped with powered intelligence that provides permanent relief from false alarms including automatic door openers, motion sensors, and other radar-based sensors.
- It also comes pre-loaded with thousands of red light and fixed position speed camera locations throughout North America.
- It also has a programmable GPS-enabled circuitry that ensures you won’t be caught off-guard by hidden speed traps or pesky speed cameras.
- It features distinct audible, visual, and voice alerts that provide a separate warning for each band of radar, as well as laser, and traffic safety warnings.
- It also features a brilliant blue LED alpha-numeric display that is easily read in direct sunlight and features five selectable levels of brightness for optimum night or evening use.
- It uses GPS to measure your speed and automatically varies the radar strength for optimal radar protection.
- It comes with a windshield suction cup system for mounting the radar onto the windscreen that can also be easily adjusted so you can get the perfect horizontal angle.
- It comes with a coiled SmartCord power adapter, suction cup mounting system, user guide/quick reference card, and warranty information.
- The overall dimensions of this radar detector are 2.9 x 5.3 x 1.4 inches.
- The total weight of this radar detector is 8.3 pounds.
It is a radar detector by the cobra that has an ultra compact design with an improved range for high performance with refined style. The key features of this radar detector are mentioned as follows.
- It features a digital signal strength meter to provide relative proximity to the target.
- It also has a city/highway selector that reduces the frequency of falsing in densely populated urban areas.
- It also comes with the LaserEye 360-degree detection, VG-2 undetectable/alert, Spectre1 undetectable/alert, Safety Alert that warns the driver of emergency vehicles and road hazards from system equipped with Safety Alert transmitters.
- It is an affordable radar/laser detector with reliable and proven performance.
- It detects all radar frequencies and laser signals currently used in the United States and Canada and comes with an UltraBright Data Display and the City/Highway modes.
- It also provides complete immunity to Spectre I radar detector-detectors.
- It also provides complete immunity to VG-2 radar detector-detectors.
- It is also capable of providing easy recognition of band detected by use of band identification icons.
- It provides a 360-degree detection of laser signals.
- It alerts the user when they are under surveillance of VG-2 radar detector-detectors.
- It also warns drivers of the presence and/or approaching emergency vehicles, railroad crossing, and road hazard locations equipped with Cobra’s exclusive Safety Alert transmitters.
- It comes with a Suction-Cup Mount Windshield Bracket Kit, Coiled Power Cord, Documentation.
It is a radar detector by Beltronics which is known to provide an ultra-performance with a long-range detection. The key features of this radar detector have been mentioned as follows.
- It includes full X, K, SuperWide Ka, and Safety Warning System radar capability.
- It also features the front and rear laser detection.
- It features a Mute and AutoMute system along with the audible and visual band alerts.
- Its Digital signal processing (DSP) gives you the superior long-range ability, along with reduced false alarms.
- It also features an AutoScan mode that can virtually eliminate those false alarms and provides both Highway and City settings.
- It also features Shadow Technology making it immune to VG-2 radar detector detection, meaning law enforcement can’t detect your radar detector.
- It gives you control right at your fingertips using the included SmartPlug power cord.
- It features exclusive threat display tracks and displays multiple radar signals, including signal strength.
- It’s Tech Display provides actual numeric radar frequency for any radar signal.
- It comes in both red and blue LED models, so you can choose the display that most suits you.
- It comes with the hard-shell metal case, coiled SmartPlug, quick release windshield mount and a manual.
It is a radar detector by Escort which is an improved model having a sophisticated new look and includes a fitted travel case and convenient SmartCord. The key features of this radar detector are mentioned as follows.
- It works with the X-band 10.525 GHz ± 25 MHz, K-band 24.150 GHz ± 100 MHz, Ka-band 34.700 GHz ± 1300 MHz, Laser 904nm and 33 MHz Bandwidth operating bands.
- The receiver and detector types are Superheterodyne, Varactor-Tuned VCO, Scanning Frequency Discriminator, Digital Signal Processing.
- It uses Quantum Limited Video Receiver, Multiple Laser Sensor Diodes as laser detectors.
- It has a 280 LED Matrix/Text, Bar Graph, ExpertMeter, SpecDisplay, Three-Level Dimming display with the Dark Mode.
- It requires 12VDC, Negative Ground.
- The overall size is 1.25 H x 2.85 W x 5.32 L (inches).
- The programmable features it has are the Power-On Indication, Power-On Sequence, Signal Strength Meter, AutoMute, Audio Tones, City Mode Sensitivity, Display Brightness, Dark Mode, Radar / Laser Bands.
- It also has the Mute, AutoMute and SmartMute options.
With a number of added features available today with the radar detectors, you are sure to find your perfect fit and keep those tickets at bay.