Turntables have been around for about a century now. Almost every one of us must have seen or at least heard of a turntable once. Some others do call it as the record player or many other possible names it bears. It is one of the most ancient and classic music devices of all time that were earlier used for playing music records and listening to music.
They are still used in many parts of the world by the people who like to adhere themselves to the ancient things. Not only does a turntable plays the records, it looks really classy when placed in the living room on the display. A music lover must have a turntable with them as it is an excellent device for keeping up with the ancient music tastes.
- What is a Turntable?
- Top five reasons why you must to buy the Turntable
- Factors to consider before buying a turntable
- Top 4 Best Turntables Reviews of 2019
- 1. Jensen JTA-230 3 Speed Stereo Turntable with Built-in Speakers
- 2. 1byone Belt-Drive 3-Speed Stereo Turntable with Built-in Speakers, Supports Vinyl to MP3 Recording, USB MP3 Playback, and RCA Output, Natural Wood
- 3. Crosley CR8005D-BK Cruiser Deluxe Portable 3-Speed Turntable with Bluetooth, Black
- 4. Fluance High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable Record Player with Dual Magnet Cartridge
What is a Turntable?
A turntable is essentially a musical device which is used to play the records. The records are big CD-like structures that are also known as vinyl. A turntable consists of many basic parts that contribute together to the formation of a turntable and playing of the record. A turntable may also be known by the names such as a gramophone, a record player or a phonograph.
A turntable is basically comprised of a motor which is responsible for the rotation of a platter. The platter part holds or mounts the record on itself. It also has a tone arm that is responsible for keeping the record in place while playing or rotating. Different kinds of turntables are available for buying. You can choose the one according to your requirements and priorities.
Top five reasons why you must to buy the Turntable
With the evolution of the digital media, people have moved to other more convenient ways of listening to music. Turntable, being the analog age musical device is not something that has been experienced by many. So, if you claim to be a music lover, you need to try out the turntable and introduce yourself to the amazing experience of listening to the music through a turntable.
So, here are the top five reasons as to why you need to buy a turntable to enrich your music tastes and experience.
- Vinyl sounds best: If you are someone who strives for perfection in the case of music or sound productions, then the record or the vinyl is something that will get you. The sounds from a record are extremely smooth and clear, provided that the turntable being used is good too. The sounds from a vinyl are fuller in nature and thus they are sure to give you a great music experience.
- Records can be collected: When you own a turntable, you must obviously be collecting or having a lot of records. In some cases, the records are a good investment, both for your turntable and you. Some specific records see an increase in their prices by each passing day. So, in future, if you want to sell some from your collection, it would be totally worth it!
- Playing records is mesmerizing: You must have seen in documentaries and movies, how the person listening to the music from a turntable experiences so much relaxation and delight. Well, it really is like that. Music from a record is indeed something that carries you away and is mesmerizing. You will see for yourself once you try it out.
- Cool Album covers: A record usually comes in a big and cool album cover. The size and the album cover is way too cool to handle and look at. Plus, your music rack will look so much cool with all those record albums lined up. A classy and an edgy look for your reading room or living room is something that is promised.
- The classy look of a turntable: A turntable i.e. available in many different shapes and designs does shout out loud the word classy! You can opt for an antique design or you can opt for a new creative design, whatever that suits your personality. This too will give your living room a classy feel right away!
Factors to consider before buying a turntable
Before buying a turntable, you need to keep in mind some of the basic pointers so that you can land up on the best turntable for yourself. So, following are some of the important factors that you need to keep in mind before buying a turntable.
- Direct drive or belt drive: A direct drive is the one where the motor is directly placed beneath the platter that holds the record. A belt drive has the motor located on the side. The direct drive is usually used by DJ’s because the record on them can be rotated back by the hand to produce amazing sound effects.
Whereas, the belt drive is suitable for absorbing noise created by the motor while playing the record. Depending upon the type with which you are comfortable, you can go for the direct drive or the belt drive turntable.
- Manual or automatic turntable: Turntables come in two types. One being the manual turntable where the tone arm is supposed to be lifted and placed on the record by the user. The other one is the automatic turntable where the tone arm is automatically lifted and placed on the record and then automatically taken away.
Depending on which one suits you the best, you can go for the suitable one.
- Built-in phono preamp: A phono preamp is must be built-in inside a turntable as it helps to bring up the volume to a manipulatable level. Since the signals produced by the turntable is very quiet, you need an external phono preamp or a built-in one for the same. It is recommended to look for a built-in phono preamp only.
- Turntable cartridge: A cartridge is something which is normally connected to the tonearm and is responsible for holding the stylus. It is recommended that you go for a turntable with a cartridge. Or if you are buying a second-hand turntable, it is advisable to replace the cartridge since it also prevents your record from ugly wears and damages.
Top 4 Best Turntables Reviews of 2019
This is a stereo turntable by Jensen which has built-in stereo speakers. It also comes with a software that can be used for recording, editing and converting the audio file into the MP3 format. The key features of this turntable are as follows.
- It comes with a belt-driven 3-Speed Stereo and a 33/45/78 RPM with a stereo speaker system.
- It also features an auxiliary input jack meant for connecting an iPod, MP3 or any other digital audio players.
- It is also comprised of the RCA Line-out Jacks and a stereo headphone jack.
- It has also been mounted with a USB Port and a cable included for converting Vinyl records to a digital format.
- It also comes with a software included for recording, editing and converting the audio files to the MP3 format.
- It also features a power indicator; an auto stop switch and a dust cover.
- It operates on a 120V AC 60Hz power.
- It features a pitch control for the adjustment of the record speed, volume control, and the tone control.
- The overall dimensions of this turntable are 13.75 x 13.38 x 6.38 inches.
- The total weight of this turntable is 1.6 pounds.
2. 1byone Belt-Drive 3-Speed Stereo Turntable with Built-in Speakers, Supports Vinyl to MP3 Recording, USB MP3 Playback, and RCA Output, Natural Wood
It is a classic turntable by 1byone with a stylish wooden finish which looks like that of the 1930s and 40s with an integrated modern technology for an extraordinary music experience. The key features of this turntable are listed as follows.
- It is a belt-drive turntable and hence absorbs additional sounds produced by the motor.
- It has been integrated with modern technology such as the vinyl-MP3 recording which allows you to take your classic album records with you anywhere.
- It comes with an RCA line-out that can be used to connect the turntable to the integrated speaker or your own home stereo system.
- It is equipped with selectable RPM speeds (33 / 45 / 78) and an included 45-RPM adapter that is capable of playing all the vinyl records in your collection.
- It features an auto-stop function which automatically stops the records from playing when one side is finished.
- It comes with two 1.5-watt speakers that have been tuned in for an excellent sound balance.
- It can also play an MP3 file through the built-in USB slot.
- It comes with a 12-month guarantee.
- The overall dimensions of this turntable are 14.8 x 11.4 x 5 inches.
- The total weight of this turntable is 5 pounds.
This is a three-speed and a portable turntable by Crosley which offers a superior sound quality of a vinyl. The key features of this turntable have been mentioned as follows.
- It is a belt-driven portable turntable with an NP6 needle.
- It comes with an adjustable pitch control that adds the ability to adjust the RPM of any type of record.
- It has been equipped with dynamic full range stereo speakers that deliver a quality sound.
- The music from your smartphone can directly be streamed to the Cruiser’s built-in speakers with the Bluetooth function.
- The RCA and headphone jack outputs are also provided with this turntable.
- It plays at 3 speeds, that are 33 1/3, 45.
- It plays the 78 RPM records.
- It has a briefcase style case that accounts for an edgy look and makes it portable.
- The overall dimensions of this turntable are 14 x 10.5 x 4.63 inches.
- The total weight of this turntable is 5.5 pounds.
It is a highly powerful turntable by Fluance that delivers stunning sound quality and the purest sound reproduction. They key features of this turntable are as follows.
- It is a high-fidelity belt driven turntable and is comprised of premium components that allow the production of pure analog listening experience.
- It features high-performance AT95E Audio Technica cartridge that is effective in producing outstanding sound clarity.
- It also features a diamond elliptical tipped stylus that has been designed to track the record grooves with greater precision for high definition audio.
- It can be used for a perfect playback using the balanced aluminum S-Type tonearm that ensures the deep resting of the stylus in the record’s groove.
- It features a beautiful walnut finished cabinet that has been crafted from a solid audio-grade (MDF) wood.
- It also incorporates isolation feet, an aluminum platter, and a rubber slip mat which is responsible for superior isolation from unwanted vibrations and noises.
- It produces a highly captivating signal clarity via high-quality Texas Instruments preamp and the ground terminal.
- It also features the gold-plated RCA line outputs that ensure excellent sound quality.
- The overall dimensions of this turntable are 13.75 x 16.5 x 5.5 inches.
- The total weight of this turntable is 14.1 pounds.
- It plays the 33 1/3 or the 45 RPM records.
A turntable does offer a superior sound quality since the ancient times. But with the introduction of the modern turntables that have the modern music playing systems equipped too, it becomes rather more easy and extensive to play music both from the vinyl records or an MP3 player or a USB.
Modern turntables like the ones mentioned above come with built-in USB ports and jacks for plugging in the other audio player devices. Software for converting the music from the records to the MP3 format and storing it in a USB is also introduced. Therefore, it is easy to afford and have a turntable. It is rather a must have if you are a true music lover and are constantly looking for superior sound quality.