The introduction to the world of the internet was one thing that the technology blessed us with. In the earlier times, everything technical and all the connectivity was through the wired system. But further advances in technology have led us to the wireless age and so have come in use the wireless router. It is much like a simple router without a wired system.
Using a wireless router which is also referred to as Wi-Fi, many numbers of devices can be used simultaneously to connect to the internet. Unlike the wired router that could only connect one of your devices with the help of a LAN cable, a wireless router lets you connect to the internet without having to stick at a single place inside your house.
- What is a Wireless Router?
- Top five reasons why you must buy a Wireless Router
- Factors to be considered before buying a Wireless Router
- Top 4 Wireless Router Reviews of 2019
- 1. NETGEAR AC1750 Smart WiFi Router Dual Core 800MHz Processor – Router Only (R6400-100NAS)
- 2. Securifi Almond – (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen WiFi Wireless Router / Range Extender / Access Point / Wireless Bridge – Works with Amazon Alexa
- 3. NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000) with Open Source Support
- 4. TP-Link Archer C7 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (AC1750)
What is a Wireless Router?
A wireless router is basically a type of device that does the work of a router by acting like a wireless access point. A wireless router usually has 2 antennas that are used for transmitting Wi-Fi signals up to a specific range of area. The range of a wireless router is dependent on the respective configuration. Similar to a regular router, a wireless router also requires the plugging of a telephone line.
The radio signals are then emitted by the wireless router which is in turn captured by the Wi-Fi devices such as smartphones, laptops, tablets etc. and the internet can then be accessed on any of these devices. A wireless router usually offers a good internet speed over all these Wi-Fi devices. Usually, this wireless router is set with a password which ensures security over the internet.
Top five reasons why you must buy a Wireless Router
Apart from going wireless which sounds as a better alternative than the conventional wired one, a wireless router lets you do much more than just browsing the internet. A wireless router lets you make internet calls over the network using any of these Wi-Fi devices to any of the other Wi-Fi devices. It is usually an ADSL wireless router which is deployed for most connections.
With different kinds of wireless routers available, you must definitely get one for your home network or office/campus network. The top five reasons as to why you need to get a wireless router are mentioned as follows.
- Enhanced security: Most internet connections are insecure and connecting to them without prior knowledge can lead to connections with hackers or other malicious elements over the internet. But a wireless router offers the setting of a password and makes WPA encryption that ensures a secure connection to the network with increased security overall.
- Anywhere and anytime: Mostly Wireless routers are installed everywhere and the devices can be connected to them at any time and from anywhere. Usually, the wireless routers have a range of the Wi-Fi signals and under that range, you can connect to the internet from anywhere and at any time. It is that easy and one of the best reasons to have a wireless router for an internet connection.
- Portable: Some wireless routers come in a compact and small design that can easily be carried around in the pocket or the backpack. Using these wireless routers, you can create your own business connection anywhere you want. You can even share the internet access to whomsoever you want. Having a portable wireless router will surely help you in the long run.
- Easy installation: For installing a wireless router, there’s not much that is required to be done. All you will need is a telephone connection wire and the Ethernet wire. All of these wired are plugged into the wireless router, the pre-shared key or the password is set and you are good to go. Having a wireless router will carry minimum installation costs.
- 3G/4G wireless routers: Apart from being aware of the fact that a wireless router offers amazing internet speed, many new models have come that offer a 3G or 4G wireless routers. This accounts for an even increased internet accessing and browsing speeds. With a wireless router, you do get many options as per the speed plan.
Factors to be considered before buying a Wireless Router
Before going for a wireless router for purchase, there are some of the basic pointers that you will need to take under consideration to land on the best one. Some of these important factors needed to be considered are as follows.
- The life span of the router: Typically, you will be using your wireless router to connect to a number of devices. If it a public network, then the number of connected devices is going to be very high. Even for the home networks, the lifespan of the wireless router must be such that its hardware is up to date along with zero connectivity issues for a longer time.
- Single band or dual band: Wireless routers usually work on two different frequency bands which are 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Most wireless routers use 2.4 GHz from the beginning times. The 5 GHz is the less clustered one for a faster connection. Some wireless routers offer both bands and some single. Before buying the wireless router, you need to check on which one will you be requiring.
- Range: Since the whole point of a wireless router is to emit the Wi-Fi signal to a wider range of area, the range of the wireless router is an important criterion that you need to check on. You can use a heat map software to determine the range of your router and essentially go for a model that has a range that is acceptable to you.
- USB Ports: Most wireless routers come with a USB port which can be used to directly plug-in a flash drive or HDD and share the data on the drive to all the devices connect to the network. For cheap networked storage, the USB ports on the wireless routers come in handy and can even be used for creating a networked media hub.
- Smart routers: Apart from the normal wireless routers, many smart wireless routershave also come into the scene. They control the home network more effectively and they usually let you prioritize the bandwidth for different online activities such as streaming. Having these smart routers will prove to be an edgy turn in the world of wireless connectivity.
Top 4 Wireless Router Reviews of 2019
1. NETGEAR AC1750 Smart WiFi Router Dual Core 800MHz Processor – Router Only (R6400-100NAS)
This is a Gigabit smart Wi-Fi router by Netgear which offer 3x faster access to the home networks. It offers maximum speed and an optimum ease of use as a whole. The key features of this wireless router are mentioned as follows.
- It features the Beamforming+ which is responsible for faster and more reliable connections.
- It also has a USB 3.0 port that offers up to 10x faster USB hard drive access.
- There are total 2 USB ports on this router which help you to wirelessly access and share USB hard drive and printer.
- It provides an ultimate connectivity for dual band WiFi devices like iPad/iPhone 5.
- It also features a ReadyCLOUD USB Access that allows you to enjoy personal and secure cloud access to USB storage anytime, anywhere.
- It also offers an open source support at a myopenrouter website.
- This wireless router offers 450+1300 Mbps speeds.
- It comes with high-powered external antennas for improved WiFi coverage.
- It is an ideal device for homes where connection to 12 or more WiFi devices is required.
- It also works with a NETGEAR genie App which lets you enjoy more of your connected home with remote access.
- The overall dimensions of this wireless router are 9.84 x 12.91 x 3.47 inches.
- The total weight if this wireless router is 3.18 lbs.
2. Securifi Almond – (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen WiFi Wireless Router / Range Extender / Access Point / Wireless Bridge – Works with Amazon Alexa
This is a revolutionary wireless router by Securifi which has a touch screen interface and no PC/Mac is required for the setup or installation of this router. It is a 1st generation product and is a multipurpose device. The key features of this wireless router are mentioned as follows.
- It the world’s 1st touchscreen wireless router.
- It requires no PC/Mac/CD for setting up of the Wi-Fi network or managing the same.
- It offers a multi-purpose usage because it can be used as the primary WiFi Router or a Range Extender or an Access Point or a Wireless Bridge.
- It does not come with any built-in DSL modem.
- It features a universal range extender mode and it compatible with any existing router like Netgear, Linksys, Belkin etc.
- It is compatible with PC, Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone, iPad, Android, XBOX.
- It comes with a 1-year limited warranty and unlimited technical support.
- It offers a Wireless compatibility of 802.11bgn.
- It offers a speed of 300Mbps.
- It has 2 antennas and 2 LAN + 1 WAN Port.
- It takes on a power supply of 5V, 1A.
- It features Port Forwarding, Firewall, DMZ and UPnP.
- The overall dimensions of this wireless router are 1.9 x 4.8 x 4.3 inches.
- The total weight of this wireless router is 2.9 pounds.
3. NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000) with Open Source Support
It is a smart Wireless router by Netgear which has been built for gaming and streaming and mobility. It offers an extreme performance and a lag-free wi-fi experience. The key features of this wireless router are mentioned as follows.
- This wireless router offers over 600+1300 Mbps speeds.
- It has a 1GHz Dual Core Processor.
- It features Upstream and downstream QoS for best gaming and video streaming experience.
- It lets you prioritize bandwidth for streaming videos or music.
- It also comes with the NETGEAR genie with remote access.
- It offers an easy and automatic installation.
- It comes with a free automatic backup software for Windows PC and Time Machine compatible for Macs.
- It also features the Beamforming+ for an improved range and performance.
- It also offers open source support at a myopenrouter website.
- It offers a VPN support and comes with a ReadySHARE Vault – PC Backup Software.
- It has total 4 LAN ports and 3 antennas.
- The overall dimensions of this wireless router are 10.08 x 13.7 x 3.11 inches.
- The total weight of this wireless router is 3 lbs.
- It has a wireless compatibility of 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac.
4. TP-Link Archer C7 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (AC1750)
It is a powerful wireless router by TP-Link which offers a high-speed wi-fi over an ultimate coverage range. The key features of this wireless router are mentioned as follows.
- It has a 1.75Gbps total available bandwidth which includes 450Mbps wi-fi speed at 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps at 5GHz.
- It supports 802.11ac wireless connectivity and it can be connected to extra devices.
- It has dual USB Ports to share files and media and printer locally with networked devices or remotely via FTP server.
- It also has a privacy with Guest Network Access that provides a secure Wi-Fi access for guests sharing your home or office network.
- It features an IP-based Bandwidth Control which lets you manage the bandwidth of individual devices connected to the router.
- It comes with an easy one-touch WPA wireless security encryption with the WPS button.
- It also has an easy setup assistant with multi-language support that provides a quick and a hassle-free installation process.
- The overall dimensions of this wireless router are 9.6 x 6.4 x 1.3 inches.
- The total weight of this wireless router is 1.9 lbs.
- It has total 4 LAN ports.
With a number of wireless routers with different kinds of configurations available for buying, you can choose the one that suits you the best. Going wireless is going to prove beneficial to you in all always. Adding to the factors that are needed to be considered for buying a wireless router, the cost factor must be taken into account too.
Depending upon the range the router offers, the expense of the wi-fi router must be set and the one with just the right configurations must be bought.